Monday, February 05, 2007

NEWater


These bottles of water seem nice enough. Pretty labels, compact size. Cute name too! Pass me one, ok? That was pretty much my response to the case of water available to us on our cultural tour of Singapore our first week here. I enjoyed my bottled water in the heat, and didn't think too much more about it.

Until today.

NEWater is the product of Singapore's water-treatment system, and it is wastewater that has been purified through advanced synthetic membranes and reverse osmosis. Yes, that is what I just said. That refreshing bottle of NEWater and much of the tap water I'm drinking isn't gurgling from a mountain spring in Maine. Most recently, it was rushing from a toilet.

For decades, Singapore has been dependant on Malaysia and other nations for water. With NEWater, though, Singapore will not have to renew its 1961 Water Agreement when it expires in 2011, and by 2061, when the 1962 Agreement expires, the nation will be totally self-sufficient.

Now, I've been assured that it is completely safe and clean by the time it reaches my glass. NEWater meets all the drinking-water standards specified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the World Health Organization, so I guess it won't be hurting me too much any time soon. But, I don't really want to think about it again either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home